THIS WEEK’S GOSPEL: MATTHEW 25: 31-46 (MESSAGE)
When he finally arrives, blazing in
beauty and all his angels with him, the Son of Man will take his place on his
glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will
sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting
sheep to his right and goats to his left.
Then the King will say to those on his
right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in
this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's
why:
I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.'
Then those 'sheep' are going to say,
'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed
you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in
prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth:
Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was
me—you did it to me.'
Then
he will turn to the 'goats,' the ones on his left, and say, 'Get out, worthless
goats! You're good for nothing but the fires of hell. And why? Because—
I was hungry and you gave me no meal,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
I was homeless and you gave me no bed,
I was shivering and you gave me no clothes,
Sick and in prison, and you never visited.'
Then those 'goats' are going to say,
'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty
or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn't help?' He will answer
them, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these
things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed
to do it to me.' Then those 'goats' will be herded to their eternal doom, but
the 'sheep' to their eternal reward."
Some days, I feel more like a goat than a sheep. Ever feel that way too? You know, I’m just
too busy to stop and share a meal with someone in need or too tired to make one
more phone call to that person I know is lonely. Other days, I’m too consumed with my own
needs to make a stop and listen or to share my coat with someone whose only
shelter is the awning over the downtown hardware store.
But there are other days when I forget myself. There are days when I am aware of the needs
of others more than the demands of my own life. One such day, while I was picking up a tree
for the Hanging of the Greens service for the large inner-city church I was
serving, I totally and completely forgot myself. With the tree tied to the top of the vehicle
I had borrowed, I pulled into a very busy intersection attempting to merge six
lanes into one onto Storrow Drive and there she was right outside my
window. It was starting to snow and she
had a lightweight jacket, no gloves or mittens and a sign asking for help. Without a thought, I pulled off my mittens,
handed them to her and gave her the warm muffin I had purchased along with the
tree. Then light signaled my turn to go
and I never saw her again.
I didn’t think about it, I just saw her need,
understood my abundance and shared what I had.
And I still pray for her even as I pray for all those who have no
mittens, for those who are hungry and thirsty, without shelter or clothes, who
struggle with illness and loneliness, who are imprisoned by fear or by
actions. I pray that my days will be about
forgetting myself more than being consumed by my needs, my to-do’s, my
life. May I be able to say with the
sheep and the goats, “When did I see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give
you a drink? And when did I ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' May I be able to let go of self and serve
others because they are in need and because I can.
Join us this Sunday, November 20 at 10:00a.m. in
Christ Church when we will explore this famous social gospel text and give thanks
to God for all the ways we can serve and honor God in our lives by feeding the
hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and those in prison and caring
for all who are in need. We hope you will make time to join us and celebrate
the joy of this day and this season with familiar hymns, energizing anthems and
heartwarming prayers. Whether you are a sheep or a goat, we are looking forward
to seeing you in Church on Sunday!

No comments:
Post a Comment