THIS WEEK’S GOSPEL: MATTHEW 25: 1-13 (MESSAGE)
God's kingdom is like ten young virgins
who took oil lamps and went out to greet the bridegroom. Five were silly and
five were smart. The silly virgins took lamps, but no extra oil. The smart
virgins took jars of oil to feed their lamps. The bridegroom didn't show up
when they expected him, and they all fell asleep. In the middle of the night someone yelled
out, 'He's here! The bridegroom's here! Go out and greet him!' The ten virgins got up and got their lamps
ready. The silly virgins said to the smart ones, 'Our lamps are going out; lend
us some of your oil.' They answered,
'There might not be enough to go around; go buy your own.' They did, but while they were out buying oil,
the bridegroom arrived. When everyone who was there to greet him had gone into
the wedding feast, the door was locked. Much
later, the other virgins, the silly ones, showed up and knocked on the door,
saying, 'Master, we're here. Let us in.' He answered, 'Do I know you? I don't
think I know you.' So stay alert. You have no idea when he might arrive.
As people of faith, are we silly or smart? This lesson from Matthew is very interesting. Two apparently similar groups of people
gather to wait for the main event. Both groups
bring lamps for the occasion and both fall asleep waiting for show. Only one group was prepared to wait as
long as needed; whereas, the other group was prepared only for the moment.
When asked to do something our Christian faith depends
on, to share their resources, the group that has been identified as the “smart”
ones refuse. That doesn’t sound very
faithful! Or does it? Can my faith, my belief, my experience of God
be someone else’s faith, belief or experience?
When looking at preparedness and faith, this story
nudges me to ask myself: am I silly or smart?
Does my faith prepare me for anything life brings at any time or am I
only able to respond to the now? If I am
silly, what am I being called to do, to be, or to change in my life of faith? If I am smart, how am I being called to live?
As we think about what it means to be prepared and
awake, especially on this day when we set our clocks back, we will also pray
for those for whom life is too hard to want to prepare or to be awake. On this
special Sunday in which we consecrate our pledges, tithes and offerings to God,
we will also observe All Saints Day with our family meal of Holy Communion.
Join us this Sunday, November 6 at 10:00a.m. in Christ
Church and bring your gifts of food for the Pantry, which is one way we share
our love and resources with our neighbors.
Everyone is welcome.
Remember:
Saturday night, change your clocks back an hour and enjoy an extra hour
of sleep. See you on Sunday at
10:00a.m. refreshed and awake!

No comments:
Post a Comment