THIS WEEK’S GOSPEL: MATTHEW 24:36-44 (MESSAGE)
But the exact day and hour? No one knows
that, not even heaven’s angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows.
The Arrival of the Son of Man will take
place in times like Noah’s. Before the great flood everyone was carrying on as
usual, having a good time right up to the day Noah boarded the ark. They knew
nothing—until the flood hit and swept everything away.
The Son of Man’s Arrival will be like
that: Two men will be working in the field—one will be taken, one left behind;
two women will be grinding at the mill—one will be taken, one left behind. So
stay awake, alert. You have no idea what day your Master will show up. But you
do know this: You know that if the homeowner had known what time of night the
burglar would arrive, he would have been there with his dogs to prevent the
break-in. Be vigilant just like that. You have no idea when the Son of Man is
going to show up.
I’m obsessed with time. Anyone who knows me will bear witness that
time controls everything I do. Through
routine and schedule, I am able to do more than I should but not without lethal
amounts of anxiety and stress.
Let me tell you, I could be very stressed about this
lesson assigned for our very first Sunday of a new church year. Advent always begins with the end so I
shouldn’t be so surprised that the text reminds us of the end and Christ’s
return. Because I have heard and preached
the end at the beginning so many times, this lesson, unlike time, has lost a
bit of its power over me.
However at the beginning of a new liturgical year, I
still find myself asking the deeper questions of faith. Am I aware of what is occurring around
me? Do I intentionally notice where God
is in my life each and every day? Am I
seeking to find God in the big and the small, in the conversations of great
importance and the menial tasks? Am I
aware of God in the busyness of the day and the moments of shared silence? Am I living in such a way that elevates God
in us and among us or am I just trying to get through the day, finish my chores
and survive? Am I awake? Am I alert?
Am I alive?
Please join us for the first Sunday of Advent, December
1 at 10:00am in Christ Church for our annual service of the Hanging of the
Greens as we prepare our sanctuary and our hearts for the coming of our Christ. Looking forward to seeing you in Church!
No comments:
Post a Comment