Thursday, September 19, 2013

What keeps you from praying?


My joy is gone, grief is upon me, my heart is sick. Hark, the cry of my poor people from far and wide in the land: “Is the Lord not in Zion? Is her King not in her?”(“Why have they provoked me to anger with their images, with their foreign idols?”)“The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.”

For the hurt of my poor people I am hurt, I mourn, and dismay has taken hold of me. Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of my poor people not been restored? O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears, so that I might weep day and night for the slain of my poor people!

Have you ever felt so overwhelmed by life and by circumstances that you just could not pray?  I mean there was no way you were seeking God in any way or asking God for anything.  I remember when I was in college and was reading and re-reading the Prophets and the Psalms in my own personal pursuit of just how to pray through my parent’s divorce, my roommate conflict, my homesickness, my anxiety over new courses and new expectations, my despair over whether or not I would get into graduate school and I discovered these authentic prayers.  Turmoil, destruction, exile, isolation, having everything (family, friends and livelihood) taken away, these folks still prayed.  They shook their fists.  They yelled.  They ripped their garments in grief.  They made bitter pronouncements. Yet, each of these responses was prayer.

So today when I learned that after a courageous four year battle with pancreatic cancer Carol passed on into eternal life and I find myself grieving with Bruce and Kevin and their families, I remember the prophets and I pray.  When I heard of Aaron and Mia’s baby Payton who was born at 28 weeks and who is fighting to live, I remember the prophets and I pray. When news of the shootings, the death and the destruction at the Naval Yard in Washington DC in light of our on-going national conflict over guns and violence, I remember the prophets and I pray.  When I listen to our debate on whether we are really called to feed, to clothe and to care for people who are burdened by life, who struggle with meeting daily needs and who have no resources to pick themselves up by their boot straps, I remember the prophets and pray.

Prayer isn’t a magical solution.  Prayer doesn’t make people well, whole or healed.  Prayer doesn’t stop violence and destruction.  Prayer doesn’t change others.  Prayer changes us.  It changes our perspective.  It awakens us to the possibility of what we can do and how we can make a difference. It reminds us that we are not alone.  It reminds us that we do in fact have resources.  It reminds us that in relationship, we can be angry, frustrated, hurt, annoyed and still be faithful.  It reminds us that even when we are feeling and experiencing all that life brings our way – good and hard – that we are connected and loved.


Please join us on Sunday, September 22 at 10:00am in Christ Church as we move more deeply into our series on prayer.  Whatever life has given you, I pray that you will know you are loved and that you are never alone.  Looking forward to seeing you in Church! 

No comments: