Friday, June 7, 2013

Question #5 is ...

THIS WEEK’S GOSPEL: LUKE 7:11-17 (MESSAGE)

Not long after that, Jesus went to the village Nain. His disciples were with him, along with quite a large crowd. As they approached the village gate, they met a funeral procession—a woman’s only son was being carried out for burial. And the mother was a widow. When Jesus saw her, his heart broke. He said to her, “Don’t cry.” Then he went over and touched the coffin. The pallbearers stopped. He said, “Young man, I tell you: Get up.” The dead son sat up and began talking. Jesus presented him to his mother. They all realized they were in a place of holy mystery that God was at work among them. They were quietly worshipful—and then noisily grateful, calling out among themselves, “God is back, looking to the needs of his people!” The news of Jesus spread all through the country.

If I were one of the pallbearers or funeral attendees from today’s lesson, I don’t know if I would have realized that I was in a place of holy mystery when the dead son sat up and began talking.  Truth be told, I don’t know if I would have stayed around for long. But for those who did stay they experienced the awe and the energetic amazement of witnessing God’s tangible presence in the parts of life that seem absolutely and totally without hope.

Have you ever felt that way?  Have you ever felt like you were without resources, without hope, without opportunity for things to be different?  Have you ever felt like you were dead (or at least at a dead end)?  How did that feeling change for you?  Was it when a friend spent time listening and helping you? Was it when you took a trip and got out of town?  Was it when you gave it all to God?  Whatever it was, God was tangibly present for you at your time of need.  Indeed, I believe that God does look to the needs of God’s people.  For that I am grateful.  How about you?


Please join us this Sunday, June 9 at 10:00am in Christ Church as we are asked to turn an old question into a new one in this fifth Sunday of our New Creation:  Questions for a Changing Church sermon series.  Looking forward to seeing you in Church! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope,

How amazing that this blog post is so similar to what I preached about on Sunday! And I didn't read this until just now! God is INDEED at work among us!

Ginny