THE MAGNIFICAT: LUKE 1:46-55 (MESSAGE)
I’m bursting with God-news;
I’m dancing
the song of my Savior God.
God took one good look at me, and look what happened—
I’m the most
fortunate woman on earth!
What God has done for me will never be forgotten,
the God
whose very name is holy,
set apart from all others.
His mercy flows in wave after wave
on those who
are in awe before him.
He bared his arm and showed his strength,
scattered
the bluffing braggarts.
He knocked tyrants off their high horses,
pulled
victims out of the mud.
The starving poor sat down to a banquet;
the callous
rich were left out in the cold.
He embraced his chosen child, Israel;
he
remembered and piled on the mercies,
piled them high.
It’s exactly what he promised,
beginning
with Abraham and right up to now.
What an interesting proclamation! After being told by an angel no less that
your life is about to turn upside down, that you are about to be shunned and that
you will be looked at with suspicion forever, would this be your response? Would you really shout, “I’m bursting with
God-news; I’m dancing the song of my Savior God”? Would you be joyful about all that this news
means for you and your life?
Being a highly wary person, I don’t think I could have
embraced this startling good news as well as Mary. If I were an unwed teenager who was just told
that I was going to have a baby, I probably would have looked for the closest
place to run and hide. Thank God, I’m
not Mary. And, thank God, God didn't choose me. You see, in Mary, God found a
joyful and willing servant who not only bears the amazing news of God’s birth
for us in the flesh, but who also willingly bears the sorrow of her child who
will be denied, abandoned, forsaken, unjustly accused and put to death for
being himself. On the third Sunday of Advent, we rejoice with Mary that God
chose her and we rejoice with God, that Mary was willing to be chosen.
I hope that you will join us this third Sunday of
Advent, December 16 at 10am at Christ Church as we feel the presence of joy and
expectation. Together we will experience the disbelief and the jubilation as we
hear the angel’s words, pray and sing all with joy! “God is Grace! God is with
us!” A Family Christmas Dinner will follow worship in the Parlor. All are
welcome!

No comments:
Post a Comment