THIS WEEK’S GOSPEL: MARK 9:30-37 (MESSAGE)
Leaving there, they went through
Galilee. He didn’t want anyone to know their whereabouts, for he wanted to
teach his disciples. He told them, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed to
some people who want nothing to do with God. They will murder him. Three days
after his murder, he will rise, alive.” They didn’t know what he was talking
about, but were afraid to ask him about it.
They came to Capernaum. When he was safe
at home, he asked them, “What were you discussing on the road?” The silence was
deafening—they had been arguing with one another over who among them was
greatest. He sat down and summoned the Twelve. “So you want first place? Then
take the last place. Be the servant of all.”
He put a child in the middle of the room. Then, cradling the little one
in his arms, he said, “Whoever embraces one of these children as I do embraces
me, and far more than me—God who sent me.”
For the last six and half months I have been caring
for one of these children, my son
Gabriel. Each day with Gabriel is an
adventure. I never know what is going to
steal his attention or what is going to win a smile, laugh or squeal. Since before he was born, Gabriel has been
his own being. He took his sweet time
arriving and he has been engaged in the world in the way that only he can. Gabriel is his own creation.
As I have been caring for Gabriel, I have noticed the
changes in my own life. No longer is my
time my own. No longer will my needs be
met before his. No longer will I have
the luxury of spontaneous road trips or serendipitous days (unless I am packed and
prepared with all the supplies a little one may need, which really makes these
less spontaneous and serendipitous!). I
have, in my own life, become intentionally last. Loving and caring for Gabriel has become
first.
Have there been times in your life when you have
intentionally chosen to be last so that another could be first? What was that like for you? Was it a challenge or a struggle? Was it an easy decision to make? Are you able to make the same choices in your
profession, at work or at home? Have you been
able to embody this great shift in your life of faith?
Join us this Sunday, September 23 at 10:00am at Christ
Church, United Methodist when our seminary intern and organist, Ginny Chilton,
will offer us new insight into Jesus’ teaching and the inclusion of all, especially
children, in his ministry and in our lives of faith. It will be a day of
welcome and joy!
SPECIAL NOTE: We would love for you to stay after
fellowship on Sunday and join in the Choir Rehearsal or Lectionary Bible Study
both taking place at 11:30am. All are
welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment